Monday 5 September 2016

Lonely at work? The big diversity secret


I have tried to write this blog post a few times and each time given up halfway through. That is because it is a very personal confession, but a confession that I hope a lot of people from diverse backgrounds working in television can relate to but rarely acknowledge:

My name is Marcus Ryder and for large stretches of my adult life I have been lonely at work.

No one likes to admit being lonely. It is seen as an admission of failure.

I have also been worried about admitting to loneliness just in case any of my colleagues take it as an insult.

The truth is while there have been periods of my working life I have been lonely I have rarely worked on a production, or been part of a team, where there hasn’t been at least one friendly face or someone I would consider a friend.

The apparent contradiction goes to the heart of one of the unspoken issues regarding diversity.

I’ve observed women working in all male teams, I’ve seen the one disabled member of staff working with all able-bodied people, the problem even applies to parents of young children working in teams of young childless colleagues. There are large parts of your life that people from diverse backgrounds simply find difficult to share with their co-workers when their experiences are so different.

Having large parts of your identity you cannot share with your colleagues can distance you at work and ultimately it can create loneliness.

And loneliness at work is a real problem.

Gallup regularly conducts employee engagement work surveys, one of the key questions they ask is “Do you have a best friend at work?”. Steven Mirander of Cornell University commenting on people without “best friends at work” said in an interview in 2014  “I would bet my bottom dollar that people who are lonely and disengaged at work deliver far less discretionary effort than people who have a support system or a go-to person [at work].”

This not only affects the performance of the company the lonely person is working for but in turn also affects the career prospects of the worker.

Although anyone can suffer from loneliness at work it is disproportionately a diversity issue.

According to a collection of essays published in 2014 by the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation (UK Branch) titled “Alone in the crowd: loneliness and diversity” people from diverse backgrounds such as ethnic minority groups and disabled people are more at risk of suffering from loneliness and this loneliness can perpetuate or aggravate many of the problems faced by these people already.

Another study by  Sigal Barsade and Hakan Ozcelik also concluded that “co-workers can recognize this loneliness and see it hindering team member effectiveness.” However they rarely understand the reasons behind this loneliness and instead just want to get rid of the “underperforming” colleague.

Loneliness can be tackled through good management. Organising support networks for employees across an organisation, or even pan-industry, that are wider than the immediate team someone happens to be working in where they are the only BAME, disabled, female of LGBT worker.

It helps to acknowledge the reality that a manager might not want to promote someone from a diverse background who is underperforming but instead of demonising them give them the tools to recognise why the person is underperforming.

Finally in writing this piece I have googled the subject of workplace loneliness and while you can find people talking about the issue no one wants to admit experiencing the problem themselves often writing pieces anonymously. And even my “confession” is slightly cowardly as I am only making it now when I am in a period of my career when I am not experiencing loneliness. But until people from diverse backgrounds can admit all the work place obstacles we face, loneliness included, we will not be able to make the progress we deserve.

1 comment: