Sunday 6 April 2014

IF IT’S GOOD TWEET IT, IF YOU WANT CHANGE EMAIL IT

When I first became an executive producer I used to hate italics.

Let me explain:

After a programme is transmitted on the BBC a few viewers normally phone the duty log or write in saying how much they enjoyed the programme or complaining about the programme. The correspondence and a summary of each phone-call is collected and then forwarded on to the executive producer. Some of these comments are italicised.

Italics indicate that the person leaving the comment has asked for feedback. As an executive producer, that means that for the next twenty minutes (or longer) I have to draft a response explaining why I have made certain editorial decisions, or even made the programme at all.

People often think that faceless automatons answer complaints to the BBC and we just send out standardised responses. Standard responses can be sent out if we receive a number of emails, phone-calls and letters raising the same point, but the executive of the programme or a senior member of the production team originally drafts even these responses.

It's BBC policy to read and respond to comments, and we owe it to the people who pay our salaries - the license fee payers - to be as accountable as possible.

I say I used to hate italics because they meant extra time out of my working day. But over the years I’ve grown to realise that they are incredibly useful. They force me to think about my programmes in more detail and can force me to confront an issue that I may not have adequately thought about while making the programme. They can influence my editorial decisions when making future programmes.

The reason I raise this is because I was on a panel discussion recently about under-representation of African-Caribbean people in television. The discussion was lively and the audience raised concerns about black people on TV across the different broadcasters from the BBC to Sky.

As the audience voiced grievance after grievance about how television treats black people I asked them if any of them had ever written to any of the broadcaster about it. Or if they had ever called a channel after they had watched a programme they were particularly annoyed about. The answer was a resounding silence.

These were people who clearly felt strongly enough about TV Diversity to take the time out on a rainy weekday evening to leave their warm homes to discuss it. But not one of them had raised their concerns with people who actually mattered.

Some of them may have put comments on their Facebook page about “negative portrayal of black people in the media” or tweeted about “#LennyHenry and his Bafta speech”. But no one in the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 or Sky had received the equivalent of an italicised comment demanding a response. No one in the audience had made one TV exec stop and think about their editorial decisions, or possibly influenced an exec’s future editorial decisions.

In the last few days I have seen that TheTVCollective - an organisation raising concerns around diversity in television both in front of and behind the camera - has launched an email campaign for people to email the Minister of Culture Media and Sports Ed Vaizey supporting Lenny Henry’s Bafta speech calling for ring-fenced money.

Whether you support TheTVCollective’s specific campaign or not I believe the idea of emailing, phoning and simply letting the people in positions for power know what you think about TV Diversity is long overdue.

If you see a programme that covers diversity well please call and email the broadcaster about it. I know from experience that it is easier to get a re-commission if you have a stack of positive feedback behind you. If you don’t like a programme tell us, it really does make us think twice. And finally if you have thoughts about television in general let the broadcasters or people in power know. It’s doubtful your #Diversity tweet will be read by any TV execs, Director General or Culture Minister but a comment to the right email address will - especially if you ask for feedback.

Make my day and fill up my email inbox with italicised emails.

(Don’t know how to contact your ‘favourite’ TV channel? Find the website links below packed full of  useful email addresses, postal addresses and phone numbers)


No comments:

Post a Comment